Thursday, August 10, 2006

Today's SBQ is from Ami:

For those of you who use hand- or over-dyed floss, how do you store it?

I do stitch with over-dyed floss, but I've never found a great way to store it.  Some over-dyes, like Needle Necessities, have pre-cut lengths bound together to form a skein, which makes it impossible to wrap them around floss bobbins.  Even if I could wrap them on bobbins (as I do with my DMC), I wouldn't have enough room to write the color names or manufacturer's name. 

Over the years, my lack of organizing my specialty threads has resulted in a bit of a mess.  They ended up in various bags, which were then stored in my assorted bins where I keep the rest of my stitching stuff.  Some of them have lost their labels, and while I may know what manufacturer they are, I have no idea what the color is.  I know photos exist online, but I haven't yet had the time to sit down and go through all of my "mystery" colors.

In the meantime, I recently decided to take charge of my growing over-dyed floss disaster and have been slowly working toward getting all started.  For now, I am storing them in Floss-Away bags, grouped together on rings by manufacturer.  They're on the rings in either alphabetical or numeric order, depending on how the manufacturer designates their colors.  So far, this is working fairly well and I'll keep this system until I can come up with something better.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

I use the same method and it seems to work ok. It allows me to keep the stray lengths in the baggy too, so I don't feel like I am wasting thread.