Monday, September 27, 2010


Last month, I was at Joann's during a Butterick sale and purchased only one pattern. I left feeling not-so-great about Butterick. Well, I might be having a change of heart. I was at Joann's again last week, during another Butterick sale, and decided to try again. This pattern and fabric were among my finds...

The pattern envelope said "Fast & Easy", no naturally something had to go wrong. In this case, the side front extended about 1 1/2" beyond the center front.

Normally, I would wonder if I accidentally cut two different sizes, but I was using the smallest one. I ended up laying the back onto the front and cutting off the excess. There was enough ease in the front to allow it to fit even after I removed the excess, but I'd still like to know what went wrong.

I love the top... except for the sleeves. They're kimono style, rather than set-in. It's not bad, but that style of sleeve is not my favorite. If I make this again, I'll make the sleeveless version and draft a sleeve to go onto it. At any rate, this is what I'll be wearing for lunch with the girls tomorrow.

Tuesday, September 21, 2010


My mojo is still missing, but I decided to do some sewing anyway. I needed a "short attention span" type of project and decided on New Look 6807. It was just four pattern pieces, with raglan sleeves... basically, a no-brainer.

The fabric was an embroidered poly-lycra blend from It's one of those that really wants to curl along the edges, which made for a lot of fabric-fiddling, especially when it came to the neck band. Cutting it out wasn't a lot of fun, either. Come to think of it, I probably spent more time fiddling with the fabric than sewing. I do like the way it looks, though.

The complete pattern review is here...

Thursday, September 16, 2010

Has anyone seen my mojo??

My sewing/stitching/crafting mojo seems to have gone missing. I'm afraid it has been killed in a consipiracy between my floor and a sewing WIP.

The floor in question is in my den. A few weeks ago, I got the bright idea to rip out the carpet, which I have always disliked, and install tile. Naturally, I did every bit of the work myself... and just finished yesterday. I didn't do any sewing or stitching while I was working on this project. I was just too tired and sore to think about it.

Meanwhile, I also started this...

It was going well until I got to the stupid yoke. It isn't particularly difficult, but for whatever reason, just doesn't want to attach properly. I really think it's because I've been tired and/or in the wrong frame of mind every time I've tried to work on it. At any rate, it has brought my sewing progress to a screeching halt. I'll probably put this top away for a while and work on something else. I'm not sure what that will be, though.