Thursday, January 19, 2006

Another UFO Out of Hiding

I'm itching to get back to my Spanish Geometrical Sampler, but I am planning to work on that one for the upcoming stitch-athon weekend and will hold off on that one for another day. I wasn't really in the mood to work on Adia again, so I dragged out the Anniken Christensen Simensen 1768 reproduction sampler that I have been neglecting.

I picked up this pattern by Scarlet Letter some time ago, following a visit to a needlework exhibition. I love samplers and this one really appealed to me. I purchased the pattern, 40 ct. fabric, and threads and set to work on it just days later. It wasn't until I had done a bit of stitching on it that I realized the flowers across the top of the sampler are done in free-hand embroidery. Now, I do know how to do this, but I really dislike it. The pattern also included the flowers charted for regular XS, which I tried, but I didn't like the result. You can see a partial flower that I stitched-- it simply isn't attractive.

Eventually, I plan to frog the ugly flower at the top and replace it with something else. I don't know if it will be the free-hand embroidery, but it definitely will not be those flowers in regular cross stitch. I figure I have quite a long way to go before I will need to decide what to put up there. In the meantime, I will enjoy stitching the rest of the sampler.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

4 comments:

BeckySC said...

Juanita, that's a beautiful piece! I will love watching this one :) WOW!

karensff said...

Wow, before you know it you will have no UFOs left. The flower looks fine from here but if your not happy with it I don't blame you for changing it. Look forward to seeing your progress pics.

Karen
xxx

Lili said...

Perhaps you can find charms to replace those flowers you don't like (depending on how many you might need). I think I would try to stitch hearts (but I love stitching hearts, so if I could, I'd put some everywhere...).
Have a nice stitching WE!

MysteryKnitter said...

How beautiful work! Just keep the needle moving.