Thursday, January 19, 2006

Another UFO Out of Hiding

I'm itching to get back to my Spanish Geometrical Sampler, but I am planning to work on that one for the upcoming stitch-athon weekend and will hold off on that one for another day. I wasn't really in the mood to work on Adia again, so I dragged out the Anniken Christensen Simensen 1768 reproduction sampler that I have been neglecting.

I picked up this pattern by Scarlet Letter some time ago, following a visit to a needlework exhibition. I love samplers and this one really appealed to me. I purchased the pattern, 40 ct. fabric, and threads and set to work on it just days later. It wasn't until I had done a bit of stitching on it that I realized the flowers across the top of the sampler are done in free-hand embroidery. Now, I do know how to do this, but I really dislike it. The pattern also included the flowers charted for regular XS, which I tried, but I didn't like the result. You can see a partial flower that I stitched-- it simply isn't attractive.

Eventually, I plan to frog the ugly flower at the top and replace it with something else. I don't know if it will be the free-hand embroidery, but it definitely will not be those flowers in regular cross stitch. I figure I have quite a long way to go before I will need to decide what to put up there. In the meantime, I will enjoy stitching the rest of the sampler.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

3 comments:

BeckySC said...

Juanita, that's a beautiful piece! I will love watching this one :) WOW!

Leeland said...

Perhaps you can find charms to replace those flowers you don't like (depending on how many you might need). I think I would try to stitch hearts (but I love stitching hearts, so if I could, I'd put some everywhere...).
Have a nice stitching WE!

MysteryKnitter said...

How beautiful work! Just keep the needle moving.