I picked up this pattern by Scarlet Letter some time ago, following a visit to a needlework exhibition. I love samplers and this one really appealed to me. I purchased the pattern, 40 ct. fabric, and threads and set to work on it just days later. It wasn't until I had done a bit of stitching on it that I realized the flowers across the top of the sampler are done in free-hand embroidery. Now, I do know how to do this, but I really dislike it. The pattern also included the flowers charted for regular XS, which I tried, but I didn't like the result. You can see a partial flower that I stitched-- it simply isn't attractive.
Eventually, I plan to frog the ugly flower at the top and replace it with something else. I don't know if it will be the free-hand embroidery, but it definitely will not be those flowers in regular cross stitch. I figure I have quite a long way to go before I will need to decide what to put up there. In the meantime, I will enjoy stitching the rest of the sampler.