Friday, May 09, 2008

Meet "Sadie"


She's the newest member of our family. I brought her home from the pound on Tuesday, when I went in to drop off some blankets that we were donating to the shelter. I had been planning to get a puppy, and they didn't have any, so I thought it would be "safe" to go there that day. Wrong! I was just going to look at the dogs, but the instant I got to this one's cage, I thought "that's my dog!" It wasn't a puppy (she's 2 years old), but I was sure it was supposed to be MY dog. The big concern was how she would work out with my cats, so the shelter workers took her into the room where all of the kitties are kept... no reaction whatsoever. The only time she paid any attention was when one hissed at her, and she scrambled away as fast as she could. :)


Sadly, this poor little dog has been at the pound before and was adopted. Apparently, she got loose a couple of times and was recently picked up, but her family didn't want her back. :( She's well socialized though, and was clearly treated well, except for the fact that at two years old, she still hadn't been spayed. (We'll be "fixing" that in two weeks.)

She has done extremely well with our cats, and oddly enough, they've done quite well with her. They've never actually encountered a dog before, so they didn't know quite what to make of her. They don't seem afraid, just a little cautious, and I think with time that they may actually become friends. She doesn't bite or chew, and hardly barks. The only "negative" we've noticed so far is that she loves to dig. But, she's a beagle mix, so we expected that.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aww! She's adorable :)

Dawn T. said...

Oh she is so cute!! It was those beautiful brown eyes that would have suckered me.:)

SandraRee said...

Sadie is lucky to have found you. I'm a dog lover so I'm thrilled to read this post. Pound dogs are the best! :)

Daffycat said...

Your new sweetie looks like a charmer! Congratulations!

~Julie~ said...

Sadie is a lovely furbaby, Juanita. Congratulations on your new addition! I am sure she will make herself quite comfy in "her" new home. =)


~Julie~

Sharon said...

She's beautiful! Congrats on your new addition.

Joanie said...

What a beautifule dog. She's adorable! I applaud you for rescuing her a second time, I've found that "pound puppies" make the nicest pets. They seem so grateful for the second chance. You rock!

Jenna said...

Welcome Sadie! I just love dogs and I'm so happy that you rescued such a deserving creature. :)