Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Sadie's Winter Coat

Just because my dog is a mutt (beagle/rat terrier mix, adopted from a local shelter), doesn't mean that she isn't a diva. She is, and with short hair, she gets cold in the winter months. Unfortunately, at 20 lbs., her size often prevents her from being able to fit into many of the cutest RTW doggie clothes. This year, instead of being frustrated at the selection of coats available in XS and S, I decided she should have her very own custom creation.

The pattern is Simplicity 2695, which I did with very little deviation from the design instructions. The body of the coat is a single-sided pre-quilted nylon fabric; the contrast is ivory/pink leopard print minky. My only complaint about the pattern is the exposed edges. The instructions had the contrast binding simply folded in half and sewn on with topstitching, which would leave a raw edge all the way around. The minky doesn't really ravel, but it still seemed unfinished to me, so I did my own thing. I pinned the binding to the coat with right sides together and sewed the strip on, then folded over (leaving the unfinished edge on the inside), and topstitched down. MUCH better! I also added sparkly pink buttons to each side of the tab closure.

   

3 comments:

Hopblogger said...

Hello Juanita,
I think that Sadie's pink coat is just so cute. I put white baby T-shirts on my 3 poms. I see that you have stitched a Biscornu. Come visit my blog. I offer patterns free that I make myself.
www.remakeremixreuse.blogspot.com
Merry Christmas!
Conny

Anita (Summer Gypsy) said...

Hi Juanita. Thanks for your kind comment about my slipcover.... so I came over to see what you've been up to. Your pooch jacket (and the model) are both darling. I have a similar pattern I'm going to make... I love the color combo you chose. Very cute.

DogMom said...

Thanks so much for the input on the contrast binding. I am going to make this coat for my two rescued dogs (also adopted from a shelter like your beauty!). So your comments about the pattern are very helpful. She looks great in the coat! Thank you!