Tuesday, October 19, 2010

S4076

This is my 2nd completed project for the Pattern Stash Contest. I'm not nearly as prolific as some of the other sewists, but at least this is getting me to use some of the patterns that have been languishing in the pile. And really, isn't that the point? Well, it is for me, anyway. ;) I love the idea of using some of the patterns that have just been sitting around. After all, I wouldn't have purchased them if I didn't like them in the first place. I just tend to get distracted by the latest thing I've hauled home.

My pattern stash isn't very large and most of it hasn't been around long enough to qualify for the contest anyway. So, my goals are modest. I'm hoping to complete 5 items from "old" patterns.

I got a little lazy with this one and didn't do an FBA. I (stupidly) thought that the gathered neckline and knit fabric would provide enough extra room for my "extra" curves. Ummmm... not really. It looks better than the photograph shows, and I'm sure it will be just fine another -5 lbs. from now. There is something funny about the way this top shows in pictures. I'll need to remember *not* to wear it anywhere that a camera might be pointed in my direction.

I was surprised that I had to add 3" to the length of this top. I'm an average height and rarely need to alter the length, but this was drafted quite short. The sleeve length was fine, though, so I think this was just a "design feature"... just not one I liked. And of course, I had to remove some of the ease from the sleeve cap, about 3/8".

At any rate, I'm extrememly happy with this top and will probably make it again someday. There are two other neckline variations for this pattern-- a v-neck cross-over style, and a twist front. I will probably try each of them as well.

1 comment:

Anita (Summer Gypsy) said...

I love your top. That shade of blue is gorgeous, and it's nice you added the 3 inches, it's very flattering on you. I'm starting to like all my tops a little longer, I think they are usually more flattering that way. I made the twist tie from that pattern and just love it.