This is the first batch of soap using my brand-new slab molds. It's also my first attempt at swirling. Unfortunately, I colored a bit too much soap for the contrast, so I didn't get quite the swirl effect that I would have liked. I'll know better next time (probably later today). The scent for this batch is Sandalwood & Clary Sage. I absolutely love how this one smells, very earthy and fresh. I think the caramel color actually works well with this fragrance, even though it isn't quite what I had in mind.
I've decided to go with slab molds for the soap that I'll be selling, rather than the more detailed molds that I was working with previously. The reason for this is packaging. I couldn't find a decent way to package the fancier soaps without totally covering up the pretty details. The only thing that would work for those was shrink wrap, and I wasn't crazy about the way those turned out. Besides, the shrink wrap is terribly labor-intensive. The plainer slab molds make a generously sized bar-- 3 1/2" x 2 1/2" x 1" and they weigh in at over 5.25 oz. I'll be able to package these with cigar-band type labels, and you'll still be able to see the color/swirls/etc. in the soaps.
The business side of my little soapmaking hobby is going very slowly. I've finally perfected the recipes that I'll be using for sale. I've been using them myself for a couple of months now and can honestly say that my skin has never felt better. Now all I need to do is make a few batches up and let them cure. Look for them in about a month. ;)
I'm still stitching a bit, but not nearly as much as I would like. Lately, I've been working on Just Nan's TrickORTreat Box. Unfortunately, I've managed to lose the white silk floss and will need to pick some more up before I can finish this one.